Going for a walk or a bike ride in Florida’s sunshine is one of the best experiences this country has to offer. Floridians should feel safe going for a stroll or walking around town.
Unfortunately, when walking near cars, non-motorists are extremely vulnerable. Pedestrians have to mostly rely on the awareness of nearby vehicles for their safety and when drivers drive negligently the results can often be deadly.
Lawyer for Pedestrian Accidents in Miami-Dade, FL
If you or someone you care about has been hit by car while walking, the trauma and damage are assuredly catastrophic. Having to deal with a lawsuit is an added level of stress that can be overwhelming for anybody.
Abrams Justice Trial Attorneys is a family firm that has always been compassionate to the struggles of our clients. This compassion is always a driving force for our attorneys when they work to bring justice to the victims of crimes and negligence. We proudly serve clients in the greater Miami-Dade area including Miami, Homestead, Hialeah, Pinecrest, Miami Gardens, Miami Beach, North Miami, Doral, Coral Gables and Cutler Bay. Speak to us at (305) 709-0880 and hear about what your next steps should be.
Pedestrian Accident Information Center
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) designates pedestrians as vulnerable road users. Along with motorcyclist and pedestrians, bicyclist, cyclist, and passengers of non-motor vehicle transportation devices are considered vulnerable road users because they do not have the protections of a regular car. The following are some crash statistics for pedestrians in the state of Florida in 2016, based on the latest report by the DHSMV.
- 9,102 – Crashes involved pedestrians
- 7,796 – Injured pedestrians from crashes
- 1,537 – Incapacitating injuries resulting from pedestrian crashes
- 667 – Pedestrian Deaths from accidents
- 1,449 – Crashes involved pedestrians in Miami-Dade County
- 1,286 – Pedestrian injuries occurred in Miami-Dade County
- 6,668 – Bicyclist were involved in auto accidents
- 6,234 – Bicyclist Injuries from crashes
- 140 – Bicyclist Deaths from their injuries
- 2,038 accidents involved other non-motorist
Florida Pedestrian Laws
Florida has recognized how vulnerable pedestrians are on the streets and the laws of the state reflect this concern. The Florida Statutes dictate how pedestrians and motorists should act in regards to one another to keep pedestrians safe. The following is a sampling of pedestrian laws that most Floridians may not be aware of.
- Drivers must exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian or any person propelling a human-powered vehicle and give warning when necessary and exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any obviously confused or incapacitated person.
- If there are no sidewalks, pedestrians must only walk on the left shoulder of the roadway in relation to the direction the pedestrian is traveling.
- No person shall on or near a street or highway to solicit guarding parked cars on streets or highways.
- If there is a traffic light or crosswalk sign at a crosswalk, cars must stop before the crosswalk and allow a pedestrian, with a permitted signal, to cross if the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk on the half of the road the car is traveling.
- If there is no crosswalk sign or signal, drivers must yield the right of away to pedestrians on crosswalks.
- Driver’s behind a car that is stopped at a crosswalk shall not overtake and pass.
- Pedestrians crossing a roadway anywhere where there is not a marked crosswalk shall yield the right of way to all vehicles.
- Whenever practicable, pedestrians must move on the right half of crosswalks.
Pedestrian Accidents in Miami, FL Resources
Florida Statute on Pedestrian Traffic – Following this link will take you to the Florida Senate website. The website hosts all the laws for the State of Florida and this particular section is regarding traffic control and specifically pedestrian traffic.
Florida Crash Facts – The Florida Integrated Report Exchange System collects data about traffic accidents. This link will give you basic crash facts for the year so far. You will also be able to access more advanced reports and analyses on the website.
Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Miami-Dade County, FL
Pedestrians are at risk for serious injuries from negligent motorists. Personal injury claims warrant litigation if you have suffered costly medical bills or physiological damages and Abrams Justice Trial Attorneys is here to help. Our attorneys are experienced with personal injury cases so you can rest assured knowing your case will be handled with trust and diligence.
We serve communities that include Miami, Homestead, Hialeah, Pinecrest, Miami Gardens, Miami Beach, North Miami, Doral, Coral Gables and Cutler Bay. Call us today at (305) 709-0880 or submit your information in our online form and one of our attorneys will review your case for free.